Monday, July 25, 2011

My Proposal

Proposal / Rationale


Why have I chosen the subject I have?
I have chosen to look at the use of album covers and how they are used in different genres of music. I've chosen to do this because it was something I was looking at a week before the assignment and I thought it was pretty interesting. I was looking at the album covers on my CDs, then looking at them on my brothers and I saw they were pretty different. We both like completely different music.

What am I going to do?

I would like to investigate wether there are particular techniques used in album art to sell them to a particular target audience. I'd like to put it to the test and create my own back-to-back album using what I find.
I will use CDs I have at home for some research, and google images to find other album covers from other genres. I will also use the internet to find out if there are any interviews with artists about how they created their album covers.

How are you going to develop/ create your chosen subject?
I think the only computer software I will use would be software to make my final product or windows media player to listen to the music I am studying. I will need to ask my brother for his favorite artists/songs, and I may need to rely on interviews on the internet to get actual reasons behind album art. Most of it will be me and my opinions though.
When am I going to do it?
In the 6 week holidays, I want to get 1/2 of my research done. This will include the techniques used in album art, how to create back to back CDs, and how album titles are chosen.
From September to December, the rest will be done.
From then until Easter, I will work on my final product.
What problems could I encounter?
The first thing I can think of is about my final product. I know what I'd like to do, but I've yet to know how to do it. I may need to tweek the idea. I don't think it will be expensive to make though, so that should be fine. Copyright may be an issue however, as I'm using existing songs rather than making my own.
Another thing would be that I don't have endless amounts of CDs, so if I need specific ones but a picture will not do, I may have to buy my own. This isn't much of a problem if it's a CD I like.
What will you outcome be?
The outcome I have in my head at the moment is a back to back CD. One side will be one genre of music, the other will be a different kind. I will create two titles and two album covers. The intended audience for each side will be the audience interested in that music genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment