Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Analysing CD's

I've decided to write a little bit about why I think the album cover was chosen/designed, how it attracts a certain audience and how effective I think it is.


My CD's

YOU ME AT SIX - HOLD ME DOWN.


This is one of my favorite albums. Being my favorite band, there were afew CD's to choose from since I hadn't got any of the CD's from them at that time. The album art did attract me to this one because the colours were bright, and the front is very pretty.
After listening to the CD, I thought the cover might have a link to one of the songs on the album, Fireworks. It isn't a firework exactly, but it looks kind of like a colourful explosion, like a firework.
It doesn't feature the artist/band on the front.
I think it will attract an audience who is familiar to the band, because of the band name being very clear on the front. The colour could attract an audience who is just browsing through CD's and may make them choose this over a duller CD if they could only choose one CD.

A DAY TO REMEMBER - HOMESICK

I like the art on the album, it looks creepy but cool. I think it's strange how the actual band name and title arn't on the front though, although they are on the side of the CD case. I think that it's made to look creepy because the album name is 'Homesick' (The title of a song on the CD) and when you're homesick, you could be in a strange and unfamiliar place you haven't been to before. Maybe the light at the end is their home. Again, it doesn't feature the artist but it does have the a person/figure on it.
I think the picture is supposed to make the audience look closer at the CD because the band name isn't on the very front. When it's in your hand, you might flip onto the back to see what songs are one it if you recognise the band, and see if there's some you know. I would anyway.


PEGASUS BRIDGE -WHILE WE'RE YOUNG

 This band creates (or created. They split up last month) a different kind of music to the others. The songs are much softer, except maybe one titles 'Ribena' which is more pop-y, one of the more well-know and well-loved ones.
The album cover features a young boy, which relates to the title 'While we're young' (Which is also a song on the album.). I think the photograph is beautiful. It also has a faded look to it, which could make it look like it was taken when they WERE young. But obviously it was taken for the album cover, over used as the album cover. It probably isn't anyone from the band.

My brothers CD's
NOW! THAT'S WHAT  I CALL MUSIC!

The 'Now, That's What I Call Music' CD's feature popular music (usually from the top 40 charts) at that moment in time. There are 3 released each year. One around easter time, one near summer time, and one in November. This one was clearly released in the summer, because it has seashells on the front, like a beach. It's not a new one, it was the first one I could find. It doesn't have artist on the front because it has various artists on the CD.


The 'Now!' CD's are a well-known CD, so big title on the front will mean it's easy to find in big media shops like HMV.



FLOORFILLERS 2010

This is a remix CD. I think it was one my brother just randomly picked up or one he got for christmas from our cousin. It's colourful and puts across the image of a club. The '2010' on the CD makes me think that they are released annually (every year) with the new 'biggest dance hits of the year'. On the front it names big names that will be on the CD to catch eyes of fans. It has 2 CDs which is clearly marked as another selling point.
I think the audience is clearly people who like popular and 'now' dance music.

No comments:

Post a Comment