Thursday, August 25, 2011

'Best' album covers of all time?

According to the Rolling Stones writers, the top 10 greatest album covers are;
                                           

This is 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' by The Beatles. Sgt. Pepper was a ficticious persona that McCartney wanted to create, one for everyone in the band.
It's a very colourful and attention grabbing cover, and there's lots of places to look. I think The Beatles are on this at the left hand side, in their suits. The band dressed in their suits would be what album covers typically were at this time, and I think it's cool that they have that on it and a people in fancy dress and loads of colour. It's a very jolly album cover.


I think the language on this album by the Sex Pistols might not have been expected at this time (1977). I'm not sure, but I don't think it would have been something to be written on an album cover.
It's a simple cover that looks more like a poster, it's in a bright yellow to attract the costumers eye.
I think it might attract either curious people or fans of the Sex Pistols because I don't think it's an album someone would buy because a friend suggested it.

  
No. 3 is another album by The Beatles. It's called 'The White Album', this is because it's white, obviously. There is a picture, it's just not visible. If you look closely, 'The Beatles' is written in the center in a small font. I think people might have seen it and thought it was printed wrong or something, making them look further into in and maybe interesting them into buying it.
I like the simplicity of it. This was released a year after the album at number 1. It's strange how they went from such a busy album cover to an almost completely blank one.


This is 'Sticky Fingers' by The Rolling Stones. I think it gives off a good 'rock' image, with the contrasting on the image and then the red stamp kind of font over it. It's pretty simple, and I think most rock CDs have maybe been inspired by this. An album by 'The Pretty Reckless' looks pretty similar to this, with the same kind of contrasting on the picture.
Again, it's simple. There artist isn't featured on it (they could be I guess) and the title and artists name are on the front in a red font that sticks out against the picture.



I don't understand this album cover much. I think it's just really random. It's another by The Rolling Stones and is called Born In Exile. I think it's just a load of photos that the band found interesting put together onto an album. It looks good, and still has a kind of rock image, but it's more interesting than the other because it's a busier cover and there's alot more to look at, like individual pictures.
The album name is scrawled at the top in red writing again, it's not in a very neat font.
Exile means to be banished or to be away from their home, so the title sort of means to be 'born away from your home'. I think this is to add to how abstract the album cover is.


Information found on;

- http://rateyourmusic.com/list/fedderedder/rolling_stones_100_greatest_album_covers

No comments:

Post a Comment