Thursday, September 8, 2011

CD Case Materials; Advantages and Disadvantages.

A jewel CD case is the original case that has been used to hold CDs since 1982. There is normally a disk-shaped tray which the CD fits into so it doesn't slide around in the case, which would scratch and damage it. There is also the 'jewel' in the center of this, it's like a circle of teeth that holds the CD in, again so it doesn't move around and scratch. But you probably knew all this.
The circular tray and the jewel are two advantages of jewel cases, because it prevents damage to disks. Also, the plastic the case is made of is sturdy enough for everyday use and shouldn't case much damage if it's dropped, however I find that double disk cases are very fragile, and many double disk cases of mine have fallen apart, and I would need a double disk case for my final product.


The simplest and least expensive packaging would probably be a paper sleeve! The advantage of them is that they're very cheap.
There are more disadvantages though, because the disk can get damaged very easily as paper isn't very good protection. It will keep the CD clean, but won't keep scratches away. Another disadvantage, or would be to me for my project, is that it would be very difficult to get any album art on it, and to have two disks in it. I could stick two sleeves back to back, and then decorate the front, but I don't think it would look very good or proffesional. If I thought about it in a professional way, it wouldn't be very easy to mass produce (not that I will be doing that) so that is another disadvantage.


This is one I had never thought of until I had researched different possibilies for the case. I recognise them as cases normally used for work videos/tutorials or the ones you get in newspapers. My dad has brought home afew like these.
They have a cardboard cover, which is more protective than paper but not as good as plastic. The cardboard cover would probably be very easy to design, for one genre anyway.
They then have a plastic part where the CD is held. This is good, because it's one of the main reasons I prefer the jewel cases.
There are afew problems though. I don't know if there are these types of cases which can hold two disks in the same case. The two CDs wouldn't get scratched because I would put the 'music playing' side down, and the two tops may get a little scratched. I also don't know how easy it would be to get hold of afew of these to do drafts of. In addition to this, I kind of need the case to be symetrical, so it gives the two genres in one CD case a good effect.


A diskbox slider case is similar to the digipak above, except it doesn't seem to have the plastic holder in it. I think my Pegasus Bridge cardboard case is like this, and I think it's really nice because it's different. However, I have the same problen with the double disk thing, putting them in the same case would probably scratch them if put in the wrong way.



Information found on;

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_packaging
- http://www.ehow.com/list_6685308_types-cd-cases.html
- http://ezinearticles.com/?CD-Cases&id=221854

No comments:

Post a Comment